Old June 23rd 04, 05:05 AM
Mike Rapoport

US ATC will hand you off to Canadian ATC. The only difference seems to be
that they say "radar identified" instead of "radar contact". You should
file an ICAO flight plan instead of an FAA one. Flight Service will help
you with this one.. AOPA has a booklet about flying to Canada. You have to
enter at an approved airport both entering Canada and re-entering the US.
Be sure you understand and comply with the customs requirements in both
directions! These Airports of Entry are listed in the AOPA guide.

http://www.aopa.org/members/files/pi...nswer0107.html

I am making a similiar flight on Friday from Sandpoint, ID to Ketchikan,
AK.

Have Fun!

Mike
MU-2

"Ross Oliver" wrote in message

I am planning my first international flight from the Seattle area to
Port Hardy, BC, Canada during the week of July 4th. I have bought all
the relavent Canadian charts (VFR and IFR), and have Googled for previous
discussions on flying in Canada. However, I would appreciate any
tips on the actual USA - Canada transition with regard to ATC. Will
US ATC hand off VFR to Canada at the border, or will I need to
call up on my own? "Knock, knock, can I come in, eh?" Same question
for returning to the USA.

Any suggestions on routing? Is it advisable to fly over top of
Widbey Island NAS, or better to remain east and cross to the north?
What is the best route past Victoria heading up Vancouver Island's
east coast?

Thanks,
Ross Oliver