Old December 5th 05, 11:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default (Mini-500)I want to build the most EVIL plane EVER !!!

"Smitty Two" wrote

While I have the virtual floor, I'll add that I don't know anything
about Mr. Fetters or his products, but since neither he nor his
detractors seem able to discuss the issues like gentlemen, I put little
credence in anything said here on this topic.

If you have a whole bunch of time to kill, google Mini-500, with the field
of search locations being this newsgroup.

I'll try to put out some of the high points (low points) of other's
accusations against the 500. I'm sure others could add much more, but most
of them are no longer active in this group.

The engine in the mini was running at something like 130% of the
manufacturer's recommended power level. It had to be re-jetted to produce
that much power, and had a horrible TBO and mean time between failures.

It barely had enough power to get out of ground effect hover, so climbout
was so slow that if took much longer than usual to get enough altitude that
an autorotation could be successfully pulled off.

Major parts (necessary for safe flight) were not designed with enough safety
margin, with excessive slop, and failed after very short run times.

There were problems getting parts in a timely manner for some customers,
even though they had been paid for.

When the engine packed it in, it tended to tuck over very quickly, and crash
at a steep angle. IIRC, a stabilizer was added to help protect against this
trait.

Many people had close friends die in them, and contrary to what has been
said, many were highly experienced rotorcraft pilots. They were declared
pilot error, but it might be said that no pilot could have saved them in
similar situations.

Long to short, if the engine died, you died. The engines died way too
often.

Others could add more, and I'm sure Dennis will refute every single thing I
have written, but he has had much practice defending himself.
--
Jim in NC