Old March 25th 09, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

Default flying car (again)

wrote in message
On Mar 24, 2:33 pm, Sylvain wrote:
george wrote:
If I knew I was going to end up way out in the middle of nowhere I'd
land in the nearest 'big' town and arrange a rental car to meet me way
out in the middle of nowhere.
It worked.

Of course, but you are being boringly practical here, we were talking
about a dream machine thing that appeals to the whole 'self sufficient'
fantasy that we all (don't we? or is it just me?) enjoy at one point or
another :-)

That said, there are neat little airports nowhere near any available car
rental (I am thinking about a few neat little places in the Sierra Nevada)
and where driving from the nearest 'big' airport is not necessarily a
practical -- or at least enjoyable -- option; besides a car rental company
might not be willing to go out of their way just for a one day (or one
weekend) deal...

--Sylvain

That ultra light duty thingy isn't going to stand up to much pounding
on
poorly-maintained mountain roads.

Here's a different fantasy fulfillment combo: put a motorcycle into a
pod
under your airplane:

http://www.motorcyclepilot.com/News.htm

That is obviously aerodynamically superior, but the idea and practice of a
motorcycle strapped onto a light airplane is nearer to eighty years old than
it is to seventy!

I can't seem to find a picture at the moment, but have seen some in books.