Old August 18th 03, 11:57 PM
Ryan Ferguson

I think IFR Refresher magazine might be helpful in this regard. I usually pick
up a long-lost remnant of old IFR knowledge from completing their quizzes which
are published in each issue.

Some seem to find some utility in PC flight simulators for IFR proficiency, but
I've never been able to get a lick of benefit out of them for that purpose.
Not being able to interface with the actual panel is just too much of a stretch
for realism, in my opinion.

The best way to stay proficient is to fly, and if flying is too expensive, you
might consider investing in yourself by getting your flight instructor ticket.
At that point, flying becomes a slight (emphasis on slight) positive inflow of
cash rather than a huge drain on the pocketbook. And you'll learn new things
every time you fly!

-Ryan
CFI-IA/MEI/CFI-H

Marty Ross wrote:

"Infrequent flying & IFR currency" - sounds like an oxymoron, I know.

I'm limiting my flying now due to lack of income (anyone have work for a
software developer?), yet would like to try to maintain my (recently
acquired) IFR currency.

I guess my best bet is to beg/borrow/steal/hire a safety pilot and shoot an
approach or two (plus the other stuff) every month, in addition to practice
in my home simulator, but I'm wondering what other wisdom/ideas I'll find
out there amongst y'all in the newsgroup.

Any tips, recommendations for keeping IFR currency as a non-owner on a
budget?