Old August 20th 06, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Orion Kingman

Default Backup Flight Data Recorder?

Papa3 wrote:
Fox Two wrote:
Hello All,

I'm new to racing, and I have a new D-2b on order from Germany. I'm
considering installing a backup Flight Data Recorder (FDR) to my
Cambridge 302, and I'm curious to see how many other competition pilots
choose to have a backup FDR as well. What kind of backup FDRs do you
use?

Thanks in advance for any advice you have!

Chris Fleming, 'F2'
El Paso, Texas

Chris,

I opted to go a slightly different route and purchased a Garmin GPS
Map 76. For well under $200 street price, you get a fully functional
navigation system that is completely self-contained, including the
ability to run on 2 AA batteries for more than 8 hours (I use two
2500mAh rechargables which I swap out after every flight; have recorded
long ridge missions of over 8 hours without any problems). It has
it's own display and good recording and downloading capabilities.
Plus, it doesn't take up any precious panel space or require additional
displays or wiring. Mine is mounted on a home-built bracket, but RAM
and others provide some very slick mounting options. In the US, it
is acceptable as contest documentation. The only problem would be for
a badge flight, where the FAI has not approved it for documentation.

Since you are "new to racing", you might want to consider this simple
approach until you get all of the other stuff (like flying) worked out.

Erik Mann
LS8-18 (P3)

Two words of caution with Garmin units: 1.) they are not IGC approved,
you cannot use them for badges or records. 2.) Some of the newer
Garmin units (the 396 in particular) have XM sattelite weather
capability. This is illegal to use in US contest and can result in a
DQ for that contest and a five year ban from competitive soaring in the
US.

DV8