Old April 29th 05, 07:12 PM
Larry Dighera

Long day, thin air, monotony, warm environment, probably little recent
nourishment, ... You used up one of your priceless luck-cards.

It would be interesting to know your wife's response when you related
this story to her.

Thanks for your candor, and I'm glad you lived to share your story.

On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 10:06:37 -0700, "Matt Barrow"
wrote in
::

I damn sure had to be home or I'd face some dire consequences.

A PIC _must_ ignore personal and/or social pressure during flight
planning. It's a difficult lesson to learn, and often difficult and
unpopular to scrub a flight in the face of those who make such demands
of the PIC. (JFK Jr comes to mind.) But the PIC bears the final
responsibility for the safety of the flight and those over whom he
navigates. Only the PIC is informed and competent to make the
go/no-go decision. His fear of retribution is often unfounded, and
those he perceives as demanding the flight proceed are usually
thankful he possesses the self-confidence and professional skills and
attitude to do what is prudent and correct in the face of social
pressure.

During preflight planning, whenever we find ourselves considering the
impact our go/no-go decision may have on passengers, business, or
personal relations, it should send up a red flag.