Old January 31st 05, 01:14 PM
Jay Honeck

As every year, there are a few who manage to
either break through the ice, or drive ten miles offshore to the very
edge of the ice shelf and hang around until their slab pulls loose

Having grown up in Wisconsin, I am familiar with this lunacy known as "ice
fishing"...

Although I spent my early years ridiculing ice fishermen, when my son became
old enough to try it we were invited by an acquaintance to join them for a
day on the ice. For some reason, it sounded like a good thing to do with my
boy -- kind of a father/son bonding experience. And, after all, there were
hundreds of people on the ice, seemingly having a great time -- maybe I had
underestimated the sport?

Well, after freezing my a** off for several hours, staring at a hole,
sipping at an ice-cold beer and catching NOTHING, I realized that the people
who habitually ice fish really *are* dumb as a box of rocks. And the ones
who catch an ice flow to Canada represent the worst of the worst.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA