Old March 16th 08, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dave S

Default Any PIREPS: Fredericksburg, Texas area?

Jay...
If you have a day to fly out/around, I HIGHLY recommend hopping over
to New Braunsfels (KBAZ i think) and taking a cab/rent a car to the
Grist Mill in "old town Gruene" (pronounced GREEN). New B has grown out
to encompass the former town of Gruene and is a tourist trap. The town
and the Guadelupe River basin is a popular spot for tubing and rafting.
Rapids are pretty tame, navigable in an inner tube, which people rent
for a day on the water.

If you make a whole day trip out of it, Id say "float the river" then
eat at the Grist Mill. Bring sunblock. Rockin R is an outfitter near the
Grist Mill and Gruene. I've used em before, and would again. In your
situation, its prolly the most convenient of the large outfitters.

The Grist Mill is a signature establishment built on the cliff's
overlooking the river. Great Food.. Great Scenery.. Usually a line..
Next door is Gruene Hall.. an OLD wood frame dance hall.. George Strait
lives down the road and pops in from time to time to play. So do many
other up and coming Texas Country artists.

And if you go on my day off, I might even be willing to ride my
motorcycle a few hours to come say hi from Houston. But only if thats
acceptable on family vacations.. its not the same as dropping by on the
north 40.

Dave

Jay Honeck wrote:
We're planning to fly there Sunday, for a week of R&R.

Not sure if the weather will cooperate (it's always a crap shoot in
spring), but we're planning on spending a couple of days at the Hangar
Hotel (the only other aviation themed hotel I've found). I've heard
"the hill area" of Texas is quite beautiful, and that there is much to
do there.

Any recommendations?

(Last time we launched for Texas, we ended up in Kitty Hawk, NC. Gotta
love the flexibility of GA... :-)

Thanks!