Old September 26th 06, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting

Default Best place for CG along roll axis

Perhaps I misinterpreted what you said. Let's start with the example
that a certain plane has a usable elevator range of +/- 25 deg. from
level. If after loading the plane and taking off, it turns out that 5
deg of nose up trim(5 deg of elevator movement) is required for the
plane to be trimmed out in flight, that means that only 20 deg of up
elevator remains available to the pilot.

Regards,
Bud

Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:

Trimming doesn't change the ability of the horizontal stabilizer to
correct for CG location, etc. It merely adds in an initial deflection
of the elevator so as to make the effort needed by the pilot to move it
is small. Imagine having to hold a constant twenty pounds of elevator
on a cross country .

But doesn't trim in most aircraft involve moving the elevator with a
trim tab? That is, if the elevator is moved up by the trim, then
there's that much less travel remaining in the elevator in that
direction. So if you have quite a bit of trim, your safety margin for
additional elevator movement is reduced. Right?

In an aircraft in which the entire stabilizer moves for trim, I
suppose you could set any amount of trim and still have full travel in
both directions (doesn't the 737 work this way?).