Old May 14th 09, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

Default Since we're talking electronic sensors...

"Michael" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 May 2009 15:10:26 -0500, Jim Logajan wrote:

Honeywell has such a system for big aircraft:

http://www.honeywell.com/sites/aero/...rs3_C91E0E6C1-

A71D-06B3-97EC-617A9F35BEC1_H33815F58-00F1-0786-C716-E0431B6C7F21.htm

Honeywell advert on this link (contains embedded PDF):
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchi...0-%200862.html

A twenty-two year old advert

Some Googling has turned up another system that was used on 707s called
STAN, which stood for "Sum Total and Nose". It was reported to work well.

I'm not surprised that this has been done but it obviously hasn't caught
on and that is surprising. It has found use in other industries: "many
excavators and forklifts have integrated weighing equipment".

AFAIK, an integral weighing system was also supplied on the Lockheed L-1011.

I don't know how it worked, nor whether it was integrated with any other
systems. However, in the very probable case that the systems are not fully
integrated, the propability of occasional data entry errors would remain.

Just my $0.02
Peter