Old August 16th 03, 04:40 AM
Ray Andraka

Check your master switch from the back. Pipers have two poles on one actuator,
one is used to control the master relay, the other connects the alternator field
circuit to the buss. The side that handles the field circuit handles several
amperes, so the switches tend to get a bit cranky with age. It should show it
in the electrical schematic in your POH.

Wayne wrote:

The master switch only closes the master solenoid though right? This plane
doesn't have a separate switch for alternator. It's a 61 and had a generator
originally I believe. The fact that is goes out at high RPM makes me think
it is either over voltage, or a loose connection moving from the engine
vibration. Don't know though.
Wayne

"Ray Andraka" wrote in message
Check the integrity of the alternator side of the master switch, the field
breaker and the field wiring. If anything has a high resistance, it can

cause
this type of behavior. The master switch is a prime suspect.

--
--Ray Andraka, P.E.
401/884-7930 Fax 401/884-7950

-Benjamin Franklin, 1759