Old October 28th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marc Ramsey

Default Discus verus Discus 2, LS8, ASW 28

Tom Smith wrote:
Jack

http://www.rsportscars.com/foto/03/carreragt06_11.jpg

http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/turd.jpg

I hope my visual comparison is helpful.

Thanks for pointing this out 8^)

It does bring up an something I learned, though, during the period when
I found racing gliders to be enjoyable. The difference in performance
between, say, a DG-303 and a Discus 2A, is not enough to overcome poor
piloting skills on a given day. On those days when things were clicking
for me, and I was making the "right" choices, my turd could stay with or
outrun everyone else in the standard class field. On a more typical
day, I could be flying the only Discus 3 around, and still end up at the
back of the pack. In my opinion, most of those obsessed with
determining the "best" standard (or any) class glider, would be better
off figuring out what they would be most comfortable flying,
independent of whatever slight deficit in performance they might suffer
from...

Marc