Old February 25th 05, 03:48 AM
Paul Remde

Hi,

I sell a wide variety of varios so I'll try to be unbiased.

The Tasman V1000 is very popular here in Minnesota. The MN Soaring Club has
them in a few gliders. That has led to them being used in many privately
owned gliders. They are very well liked. I like that they have a nice
average display and easy to read display and don't require a capacity flask.

A very similar product is the new LX16. It does everything the Tasman V1000
does. It also has a "flight timer" display. The only thing to consider is
that it has an external speaker which must be mounted somewhere. Like the
Tasman it has no moving parts. The Tasman comes with a built-in speaker but
an external speaker is an option.

Also, many people don't realize that Winter offers some pretty fast
mechanical varios. They use 2 times the capacity flask volume (0.9 L) as a
standard vario.

Details on many varios are available he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/varios.htm

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

"Bruce" wrote in message
Time to start a new debate.

How do pressure transducer varios compare to traditional mechanical varios
in club use?
Can you mix and match a capacity vario and a pressure transducer vario on
a single TE probe?
Do students - please note NOT experienced pilots - find the lcd display
units easy to use, or are moving needle varios better (I know we should be
using the audio - but for the times when we want to see the climb
performance the question is still valid)

We are looking at replacing some vintage mechanical varios, and have some
debate about the advisability of needing electrical power for the vario
and the relative benefits of the Borgelt B40 and the Tasman V1000, and of
course another set of Winter mechanicals...

Being a computer type, I am biased towards the "no moving parts" V1000.
So - any views?

Bruce