Old June 17th 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Fiberglass vs. Fabric

On 16 Jun 2006 19:57:02 -0700, "Lou" wrote:

Ok, I just finished reading Tony Bingelis's "sportplane builder"
section on covering a wooden plane with fiberglass instead of the
intended fabric. Has anyone in this group ever done this or some who
knows someone who has done this? I'm building a wooden place that
calls for
a fabric covering. I've tried to do as much homework on this subject
as I can but still can not come up with a weight difference between
fabric and a thin coat of fiberglass. I know that the fabric is not
structural so why can't I subsitute a lightweight fiberglass for the
fabric?
Any feedback?
Lou

Lou,The glass that tony referred to is model airplane glass which is
very light and thin. I used it as the outside layer on my leading
edges and tips, however that was over aircraft grade fiberglas not
plywood. Apparently Tony had good luck with it. I think if you did a
Sport Aviation search for Tony's articles on building the Emeraude you
could get a little more information.