Old September 8th 06, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug Haluza

Default End of Season Sunset Warning for SSA-OLC Participants

Marc Ramsey wrote:
Looking at the cover of the current Soaring, Eric M. is clearly
operating in violation of CFR 14 Section 45.25. If he's submitted any
flights to OLC this year, does he have to remove them all? 8^)

Marc

Well, actually you bring up a very good point with this, whether you
meant to or not. This is analgous to the problem we are dealing with in
the OLC. By publishing this photo, on the cover of Soaring no less, it
damages the group by reinforcing incorrect behavior. Not only does it
show non-glider pilots that we don't do the right thing (even when it's
just as easy to do it right), it also shows glider pilots the wrong
thing to do, which they may try to emulate.

Now as far as OLC goes, there is no sporting aspect to the N-number
placement. Putting N-numbers on the gear doors does not provide any
meaningful competitive advantage. And it does not show up in the flight
log. So we would not be concerned with this in the OLC.

But I would expect that if the pilot showed up at a contest with this,
and someone noted the problem, a reasonable pilot would correct the
problem immediately. I think it would be unreasonable to take the
position that since nobody specificaly told them in advance that they
must display proper N-numbers, that they don't have to fix it until
next year.