Old June 15th 07, 06:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.military,rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
Rob Arndt[_2_]

Default "Seeking Foreign Buyers For Osprey"

On Jun 13, 4:18?pm, "Paul J. Adam" wrote:
In message .com,
David E. Powell writes

I thought it was faster, but going low enough can be an anti-shootdown
tactic too.

If there's a sufficient density of Bad Guys, then going low exposes you
to hundreds or thousands of small-arms rather than handfuls of MR-SAMs.

--
The nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its
warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done

Paul J. Adam - mainbox{at}jrwlynch[dot]demon(dot)codotuk

Even stray fire that misses the troops or pilots, but hits a critical
flight system will probably send the Osprey right into the ground.
Transitional flight in a combat zone is gonna be a bitch anyway, but
since Iraq is so large, just the regular flight in transit to the
target area or base will expose the rotorcraft to small arms and RPG
fire at low altitude.

To me, it would be better to fly in an unarmed Fa-223 Drache carrying
troops into combat in Berlin during the heat of battle with Hanna
Reitsch at the controls than to fly over any part of Iraq in an
Osprey, even with escort... but that's just me.

I pity those poor soldiers whose ride into Iraq will be the Osprey and
whose ride home will be in a bodybag inside a C-130 or other
transport...

Rob