Old September 4th 15, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Alfonso Jurado

On Friday, September 4, 2015 at 8:06:30 AM UTC-5, Echo wrote:
Good Morning,

I am entering my 4th year as the 3rd owner of ASW20 #20463, better known as Alfonso's 20. I grew up soaring in New Castle, VA, and saw Alfonso a few times but never really knew him. It is my understanding that he has bad dementia now. I know the former Miami gliderport was his home field, however he never logged any soaring outside contests. I've heard many things, such as him soaring to the keys, aileron rolls with water, soaring with the canopy open, and impossible landouts. In an effort to write down all the legends, myths, and stories, I'm hoping to document all the stories and keep them with the airplane documents. Thanks!

...and yes, it still looks and flies pretty well! (and still manages to get me home)

Jordan
ASW20 'E'

Here's an Alfonso story for you Jordan: New Castle Contest, vast overcall, most of us ended up in West Virginia. I found myself in a field that formed a hill with ultimately 4 others, Alfonso landed last. While the others and I landed uphill and came to a stop near the top, Alfonso showed us how to land parallel to the slope, keeping the wings equidistant from the ground.. When asked why he said he hadn't practiced that in a while, don't try this at home.
On the same day OH landed about a mile from us and determined that it was right on the Continental Divide between the Atlantic and the Gulf. When using the 'public bathroom' he concluded that half of the stuff was going to end up in either body of water!
Herb