Old September 6th 15, 01:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Alfonso Jurado

On Friday, September 4, 2015 at 9:06:30 AM UTC-4, Echo wrote:
Good Morning,

I am entering my 4th year as the 3rd owner of ASW20 #20463, better known as Alfonso's 20. I grew up soaring in New Castle, VA, and saw Alfonso a few times but never really knew him. It is my understanding that he has bad dementia now. I know the former Miami gliderport was his home field, however he never logged any soaring outside contests. I've heard many things, such as him soaring to the keys, aileron rolls with water, soaring with the canopy open, and impossible landouts. In an effort to write down all the legends, myths, and stories, I'm hoping to document all the stories and keep them with the airplane documents. Thanks!

...and yes, it still looks and flies pretty well! (and still manages to get me home)

Jordan
ASW20 'E'

Fonz stole a national championship from me. Last day of Sports nationals in Elmira and I went into it with a "comfortable" lead over Fonz.
At start time we were getting to 1700 above Harris Hill with storms in 3 quadrants. None of that comfortable fair and safe stuff back then. When the task opened, the only "reasonable" way to go was north east to avoid the storms, knowing we likely would not be returning. I went that way,of course, and ultimately landed out, along with most everyone else.
Fonz, knowing he had to do something different, went off to the west into one of the storms. It did not work well and he ended up quite low. I recall mention of his climbing away off a tree line. Only the Fonz could do that stuff.
Anyway, he got back and stole my championship from me.
Someday I may forgive him.
I'll always love the Fonz.
UH