Old July 14th 05, 04:41 PM
Don Hammer

I don't understand what advantage this has over simply deflating the strut,
removing the schrader fitting, filling it to the brim with 5606, replacing
the schrader, and pumping it with a gas (air or nitrogen). You can argue
for nitrogen if you want, but the sloshing of the 5606 inside that strut
keeps it pretty well oiled for plain old air. Besides, nitrogen comes out
the spigot at a pretty good pressure, and you can adjust an air compressor
down to where it won't blow the piston out the bottom of the strut.

Jim

We can all invent our own way of maintaining an airplane, but the
approved proceedures and materials, what ever they are, are in the
airframe maintenance manual. I don't know how Cessna built these, but
some struts have metering pins or other devices that won't allow them
to be completely filled unless they are extended first. Do what the
manufacuter says and you won't get in to trouble.

Ever seen water come out of your air compressor? Ever seen an aluminum
strut tube corrode from water mixed with the fluid? I've seen both.
Nitrogen is cheaper than struts. Why bother changing engine oil if
the airplane's been setting for six months? Lots of oil sloshing
around in there.

Why don't you just recommend commercial hydraulic fluid? It's cheap
and you can get it everywhere. Works fine in tractors so it must be
OK in an airplane!!