Old February 10th 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default 7/8 Nieuport 11 flying qualities?

Jim

Don't think it would last long. If you lock the brakes up on your car
how long does the tire last before it wears a hole in it? If you drug
a piece of tire on a hard surface how long before it wore out?

Last time I flew a 'Skag' was in 1937 in a Taylor Cub. To make a turn
you put full forward stick and full rudder in the direction you wanted
to turn and goosed the engine. Tail come off the ground and prop blast
against rudder blew the fuselage in the direction you wanted to turn.
You then cut power and full back stick and you were going in the
direction you wanted and continued to taxi.

Oh those were the good old days. Single ignition and no mag check. If
you got the rpm you took off )

Big John
`````````````````````````````````````````````````` ```````````````````

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006 21:52:33 -0500, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Big John" wrote in message
.. .
Original birds in WWI operated off grass fields and had 'skags' (sp).

With full back stick you dug the 'skag' in ground and didn't need
brakes to stop.

If you build a prototype today you need brakes as most, if not all,
flying is off hard surface.

Big John

I wonder if anyone has tried using a skag, only cutting the tread section
off of an old auto tire and bolting it onto the bottom. It seems to me that
many of the same attributes would be attained, and some of the same ground
handling characteristics.