Old April 17th 07, 10:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mortimer Schnerd, RN[_2_]

Default SDF Approach?

John Godwin wrote:
In wanting to find out more about it, I pull it up on
Airnav, and see that Runway 23 has an SDF approach. It looks like
a LOC approach, no OM, MM, IM, or glideslope. So my question is,
what exactly is this type of approach, and how does it differ from
a LOC approach?

The Simplified Directional Facility is similar to a Localizer but may
be offset from the runway and the course may be wider than a Localizer.

The important thing to know is that you fly it just like you fly a localizer...
just don't be surprised if the runway is angled away from you a little bit when
you break out. I used to have to fly an SDF approach into Greenville, NC all
the time. Washington Center would give radar vectors until I picked up the NDB
that was the IAF for the approach, then it was all on me.

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN
mschnerdatcarolina.rr.com