Old August 25th 10, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell

Default Glider Batteries and Chargers

On 8/24/2010 6:07 PM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
I would, however, take issue over there being many RC chargers without a
float mode. I've not yet seen a multi-chemistry charger that didn't have
some sort of float mode for all chemistries: its essential for Li-poly
and for high-rate charging of NiCd/NiMH and anyway these charger/cyclers
are all microprocessor based, so leaving it off is inexcusably cheap
design. Did you mean that some just omit peak detection for lead-acid
batteries?

The Multiplex LN5014 and it's clones do not have a float mode for
lead-acid (Pb in their terminology). The Multiplex manual states that
explicitly, saying it's not needed because their self-discharge rate is
so low. They are right about the self-discharge, and my LN5014
definitely shuts off when the current drops to 10% of the set charge
rate (no peak detection is used for lead-acid). It does have a trickle
charge for some of the other chemistries.

I have no idea if other chargers offer float mode for lead-acid; in any
case, float mode for lead-acid seems unnecessary for a charger powered
by a battery, as it's not really practical to leave it running for long
enough to make any difference. It's not a feature I'd bother to look for.

--
Eric Greenwell - Washington State, USA (netto to net to email me)

- "Transponders in Sailplanes - Feb/2010" also ADS-B, PCAS, Flarm http://tinyurl.com/yb3xywl

- "A Guide to Self-launching Sailplane Operation Mar/2004" Much of what you need to know tinyurl.com/yfs7tnz