Old March 17th 07, 07:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
G. Sylvester

Default Flying in the USA vs. Europe

Jay Honeck wrote:
That is so frustrating. We want to show our kids our European roots,
but the thought of riding a train -- even a very nice train -- just
isn't as appealing as flying a light plane. I just don't see any way
to ever be able to afford it.

The public transportation found in Europe is dreadfully missing in the
US. Most of that is caused by the much larger geography outside of
major cities. Even major cities like Los Angeles, is horrendous with
virtually no public transportation. Back to Europe, in 'northern'
europe (anything north of Austria roughly) has greatly trains. the
south has good trains but tend to be more unreliable. In general, the
south, just like in the US, are more laid back so schedules aren't so
closely adhered to. Nonetheless, still great. Trains are absolutely the
best way to go.

when I lived in Munich, I went up with a friend of a friend. Had a
beautiful flight from Augsburg to Rosenheim to Salzburg. The flying was
nice but his piloting was HORRENDOUS including busting the MUC class B
because he got completely lost even with a G430. At the time I had
solo'd and then moved there 2 days later only to finish a couple of
years later. A couple of years later my friend went up with this guy
again and had a "very scary" experience in the pattern. Doesn't
surprise me.

Gerald