Old March 3rd 18, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]

Default Roof Rack for bikes on a cobra clamshell top?

On Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 11:23:51 AM UTC-8, bumper wrote:
I built a rack mount for my Cobra trailer to mount two bicycles, one each side forward of the trailer wheels. The rack is strong enough that I can sit on my bike while it's on the trailer - stays firm, no sagging.

I considered using standard automotive receiver hitch mounts, but IMO there's a better way, stronger and probably less weight.

Search online nesting square steel tubing You'll need roughly 1 1/2" will do nicely for the outer tubes, 2 each to span the width of the trailer. Each length provides a receiver hitch on each side.

4 shorter lengths are used to slide into (nest) the cross tubing to provide the attach points for the bicycle tray style rack. I used a Thule: https://www.amazon.com/Thule-9044-Cl...hule+bike+rack

Not cheap, but nice quality. If you get the version for 1.25" mount, and your receiver cross tube is sized accordingly (1/8 wall 1-1/2 tube) you can use the brackets that come on the carrier (though you will need a couple of extra for the 2-point mounting). I used the standard 2" receiver hitch Thule, and saved the hitch tube so the racks can be used off the trailer. Then the Thule tray tube is attached to each mount tube (smaller nesting tubes) with a single through bolt.

The mount tubes can pivot for storage off the trailer. The only critical dimension is the trailer mounted cross tubes must be near perfectly parallel, this allows to mount tubes to slide in/out easily.

Mount tubes are secured in trailer cross tubes using hitch or safety pins:
https://www.amazon.com/Curt-Manufact...70_&dpSrc=srch

Could you post a link to a photo? That was too much nesting to follow clearly. Also, why not get a 2" cross tube and slide the bike racks in directly?

Andy