View Single Post
Old July 5th 20, 07:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default FAA suspends Bruno Vassel's Pilot Certificate

On Sunday, June 28, 2020 at 6:05:27 PM UTC-7, Roy B. wrote:

So motoring down a ridge is infraction if hikers are there ?????

That is correct. read FAR 91.119 (c):

"Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft below the following altitudes:

(c) Over other than congested areas. An altitude of 500 feet above the surface, except over open water or sparsely populated areas. In those cases, the aircraft may not be operated closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.

Like I said, everyone who has ever been down a ridge with a "structure" or a "person" on it has violated this section. Most don't get caught . . . Some do.

ROY

I believe that for Gliders, down a ridge with structure or people is legal if it is your only legitimate source of lift, because according to FAR 91.3 B: In an in-flight emergency requiring immediate action, the pilot in command may deviate from any rule of this part to the extent required to meet that emergency. But per part C, you may have to defend it.

Dated info now, but 30ish years ago at Torrey Pines a friend did a wingover directly in front of the windows of the Cal Fisheries building (which is built on the edge of the cliff providing lift). I can't imagine a better seat for an airshow, and yes, it generated a visit from the FAA. The pilot stated that the wingover was necessary to keep the glider within the narrow band of lift offered by the steep ridge and that it was the only way to maintain enough altitude to affect a safe landing. No enforcement action followed.

And as others have said, Bruno, thanks for all the great videos, and for bringing this to everyone's attention. Glad your back up in the air!
-Greg