Old June 25th 16, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
K m

Default Nationals - who cares?

On Friday, June 24, 2016 at 5:25:09 PM UTC-6, Chris wrote:
A lot of people do. But we are worst enemy when it comes to promoting the sport. 3 classes compete at the highest level contest in the USA and there is not one single report on the SSA website. (the regional in ephrata was the same) If the organizer don't care to share some of the excitement and give the worldwide audience a chance to participate its no wonder that we can't grow this sport. A few glider pilots fly circles through the air in a place in the middle of nowhere. Forgotten tomorrow. I have to go on somebody's facebook page or look at a blog and read about junk and other tidbits. At the same time I see speeds in open class approaching 100mph and a particular type of glider dusting everything else. There must be a good story there...
is there? we will never know.

Chris,
The organizer cares and even solicited material from competitors. Here is part of the problem. Many of us show up at 8am and start installing batteries O2 whipping down ballasting etc., then off to the pilot meeting and imediatly after gridding and programing. Then 5 hours in the cockpit and tow in tie down pull all the equipment sign in and submit your log and it is 8pm and you have spent 12 hours at the airport and have just enough energy to stumble into bed and do it again the next day. I doubt anybody, Volunteers included have any energy left to write up a report.
I can tell you (From a guy at his first Nats) it has been a rush! From coring up a thermal across from Concordia to watching the JS1C Jet do a flyby to tasking over some of the most spectacular scenery you can imagine.
I share your pain and judging from the calls and texts I am getting people who couldn't be here and want some play by play. I will bring this up to management tomorrow and we can see if anyone, possibly crew, could do a write up.