Old December 23rd 03, 06:37 PM
Alan Minyard

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 06:59:09 -0500, Stephen Harding wrote:

Mark and Kim Smith wrote:

read most all threads unless the subject line looks absolutely boring.
) My question is, there were two A bombs dropped, but only one by the
Enola Gay. Why no controversy over the display of Bockscar? Was there
controversy over Bockscar ever?? I remember one of the statements posed
by the original poster was that "
The plane, in fact, differs little from *other* B-29s and
gains its notoriety only from the deadly and history-altering nature
of its mission." Okay, so what if the Smithsonian didn't display the
Enola Gay, how about Bockscar? How about "The Great Artiste"? Would
that be less controversial?? It flew along side both bomb runs! Why is
it only the Enola Gay that stirs this stuff up? Past and present?

I think many of the "demonstrators" against use of the nuke in WWII are
"reflex" protesters. They single out Enola Gay because it is known. I'd
be willing to bet a significant portion of them don't even know Bockscar,
and certainly not Great Artiste.

The same sort of thing has happened with the type of bombings. Hundreds
of thousands dead from firebombs doesn't get much mention. But if they
died of a nuclear bomb, it's somehow immoral.

Enola Gay was the first and thus has the notoriety. It's a well known
focal point with symbolic and political significance.

I would think if attacks on Enola Gay become common (which could be the
case every year on the anniversary of Hiroshima), replacing the exhibit
with another B-29 might be a good idea. It would be a shame to have to
limit access to the exhibits because of the dangers of a few politically
driven whackos.

SMH

That would be surrendering to terrorists (the cowardly scum who stage
such attacks are certainly terrorists). IMHO surrendering to terrorists is
not a good strategy.

Al Minyard