Old March 14th 09, 11:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
vaughn

Default On Sharing airspace with "non-rated UAV "pilots"

"Todd W. Deckard" wrote in message
m...
a GlobalHawk is flown entirely with a mouse. The operator is not "flying
it" they are commanding it over specific profiles ...

And?

I have no particular problems with sharing airspace with a UAV, I just
want it to be able see and avoid other planes at least as well as any other
plane out there, and I want to to follow the same rules that I follow. For
lots of good reasons, that includes a rated pilot at the controls. If we
don't hold UAVs to that standard as they evolve, eventually our government
will decide that UAVs need to be separated from manned traffic. Knowing how
the govenrnment works, I can assure you that the result of that will be the
airspace allocated to us human pilots shrinking dramatically and quickly.

Of course, it will all be done "in the interest of our safety".

Vaughn