Old June 7th 17, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom[_21_]

Default Letter to the FAA

I don't like the flippant responses either. My argument was that a letter to the FAA was not going to have the effect desired and in fact could have draconian and unintended consequences.

As a tow pilot (and a CFI-G) with many tows under my belt and having been in some dire situations (all with Tost hooks) I understand that this is a fundamentally risky endeavor, on both ends of the rope. I/we work very hard to manage that risk and we have to continue.

My point is that we as a sport (or industry) need to work everyday to manage risk, identify the issues, analyze/understand what's happening and work hard to remediate the hazards. We really can't expect the FAA to do this from their perspective without causing more problems.

The callous and flippant remarks are truly the sign of hazardous attitudes and or immaturity. Having been yanked around to the point of losing control of the tow plane and or looking back in my mirror and seeing the complete underside of a glider while I'm in a level attitude after the glider pilot lost control (the rope broke and we made it home) - it's a very hopeless and terrible feeling. It makes sense that it provokes a reaction on the part of the tow pilot. That should be respected. The "rugged independence" and individualism of sailplane flying is only true after you get off tow - until then it's a team sport.

I just don't see the FAA reaction or "fix" as viable or appropriate.

And as I said before, I'd never tow with anything other than the Tost setup..

I hardly ever post here - mostly lurk. I do find it very interesting and illuminating to read these long and contentious subjects - it reveals a lot.

Tom