Old May 2nd 06, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr

Default Trust those intruments Trust those instruments

"Mark Hansen" wrote in message
On 05/01/06 18:59, A Lieberman wrote:
The glory of this approach was short lived as I still had to fly the
plane,
and I was only cleared for a low approach. So, that I could enjoy the
VMC
for as long as I could and try to get my inner ear balanced, I went to
the
minimums of 200 feet AGL, and flew straight and level for just about the
entire length of the runway. After the end of the runway, started my
climb
out instructions (runway heading, climb to 2000).

But, when are you required to execute the missed approach procedure?
Wasn't the missed approach point when you hit DA on the glide slope?

It's true in general that if you start the missed approach procedure other
than at the MAP, you're not assured of obstacle/terrain clearance. But in
this case (HKS ILS 16), the missed approach procedure is consistent with and
stricter than the DP for that runway. So as long as Allen crossed the
departure threshold at 35' AGL or higher (and climbed at at least 200' per
nautical mile), he was fine.

--Gary