Old May 3rd 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr

Default Trust those intruments Trust those instruments

On Tue, 2 May 2006 19:04:37 -0500, A Lieberman
wrote:

On Tue, 02 May 2006 19:48:15 -0400, Peter Clark wrote:

Thank you both Mark and Gary for bringing this to my attention. My low
approach was right at 200 feet AGL (ILS minimums) over the runway, but I
never even considered obstacle clearances at the end of the runway. I
always climb out at 500 feet per minute anyway, but you both pointed out
something I never even thought of.

500FPM doesn't necessarily guarantee 200FPNM if you have a high
groundspeed.

Very true Peter.....

In my "Slowdowner", climbout speed is 78 knots with a direct Xwind across
the runway in yesterday's flight, so in my case I'd suspect I was doing a
tad more then 200 feet per nautical mile.

Yep, just about 375FPNM. At 500FPM you need to keep the groundspeed
under 150 knots to get a rate equal to or better than 200FPNM, not a
number most of the light aircraft out there would be climbing at..

Just didn't want people thinking that 500FPM was always guaranteed to
cover the departure climb gradient unless special climb rates were
spelled out in the DP/ODP....

Safe travels.