Old December 12th 17, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kiwi User

Default Akaflieg Karlsruhe AK-X

On Mon, 11 Dec 2017 21:41:25 +0100, Andreas Maurer wrote:

To me, the only remaining question is the influence of the wing sweep on
spanwise flow - but as I heard the guys are pretty optimistic so far
(they've got a 1:2 model flying with very good results).

If a description I read many years ago of what makes a Hoerner tip work
and why its beneficial is true, then the spanwise flow shouldn't be a
problem.

I know that a lot of tip shapes were described as Hoerner tips, but the
one I'm talking has:

- a minimum LE sweep of 10 degrees on the outermost wing panel

- a straight edge to the tip raked outward toward the TE at at least
30 degrees and should meet the TE at an acute angle,
i.e. not rounded off

- the upper surface curves down to meet the lower surface at an acute
angle

The idea was that the LE sweep promoted spanwise flow toward the tip,
which was encouraged to oppose the tip vortex rotation as it slid over
the convex tip profile. The pointed at the end of the TE anchors the tip
vortex while the roll-down of top surface flowing spanwise out along the
panel and down over the tip shape will tend to move the tip vortex
outward.

I used this tip design for many years on competition free flight F1A
gliders. It worked for me. It was notable that, while models with
conventionally rounded tips needed a lot of tip washout to prevent tip
stalling, my design worked best with unwarped [flat] tip panels.
Directional stability was good too. Minimal fin area is beneficial to F1A
performance and thermal centering, the optimum being just big enough to
kill dutch rolling tendencies. On my design the fin had to be reduced to
a surprisingly small size before the first signs of dutch roll appeared.
Benefits of solid balsa fins: you keep chopping bits off until the dutch
roll appears and then stick the last bit back on.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie