Old December 13th 17, 11:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kiwi User

Default Akaflieg Karlsruhe AK-X

On Wed, 13 Dec 2017 01:27:16 +0100, Andreas Maurer wrote:

Hi Andras,

I'm rather worried about spanwise flow originating at the wing root
(similar to the SB-13) - but let's wait and see. The guys (and gals)
know their stuff.

I notice that initial drawings put the wing at the bottom of the pilot's
pod, but in the 1:2 model its just below the canopy rim. Was this for
wing clearance or aerodynamics?

I'm a little surprised, too, at the quite minimal root fairings. Is this
what you were referring to when you mentioned spanwise flow at the root?

It would be interesting to see flow visualisation round them. Though, as
you say, the guys and gals know their stuff, so maybe cleaning up the
wing roots is being left for full size detailed design. After all, the
1:4 model had nothing except a couple of sensor probes at its root, so
just adding the pod was quite a big step aerodynamically.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie