Old December 12th 18, 10:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

Default Smart Phone Software

On Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 12:29:38 PM UTC-8, Thomas Van de Velde wrote:
You can also get a cheap Android tablet with built-in GPS like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use a tablet with BT connection to my LXNAV S100. Not sure why I'd pay the extra $3,000 to get a full built-in LX90X0 system. You can also pair your Android device with a Nano if you like a certified logger and more reliable GPS source.

On Wednesday, December 12, 2018 at 8:20:21 AM UTC-8, jfitch wrote:
On Tuesday, December 11, 2018 at 1:57:27 PM UTC-8, John Foster wrote:
What have you guys found to be the best "flight computer" app for a smart phone or tablet? Ive tried using iGlide for the iPhone (basic version), but it doesn't seem to have the functionality of a true flight computer where you can input a task, turn points, etc. Do I just need to upgrade to the next version, or are there better options out there? I'm also considering using an iPad for a digital display, but again am wondering what software to use.

You need at least the advanced version of iGlide to to tasks and routing, and the Pro version if you want all the turnpoint and statistic features.. It is then a fully featured flight computer. I have, and have flown with, XCSoar, SYM, iGlide, Winpilot, Winpilot Live for iOS, and a few others. I prefer iGlide as it has a modern UI. I've not tried Tophat, but had it demonstrated to me - it looks pretty much like a skin on XCSoar.

Oh God, I would pay $3,000 just not to deal with the Android operating system. Kind of kidding, but one pays the big bucks for full integration and a true flight management system (for a glider). I have flown birds with a full LX90X0 with flap position sensor, flux compass, water ballast dump sensor, wifi, weather and a radio link so you could control radio from computer.. All this information on the computer screen, even controlling screen of S80 and computer with this setup it is HOSAT, or HOSAF.