Old February 25th 19, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cookie

Default high tow vs low tow

Charlie M.

Regarding Valley Soaring...where low tow is used...

I avoid using the term "high tow" because over the years I've seen many pilots who interpret this as meaning to "fly above the tow plane"...I've done many an uneasy check ride where the pilot, thinking they were doing high tow, flew way above the tow plane...

Of course the term high tow, means to "fly above the wake", NEVER above the tow plane!
So I started using the terms .."low tow", and "normal tow"...but one of the Valley pilots aptly pointed out that low tow is "normal" for them!!!!

So now I have to teach my students what I call "below the wake" tow and "above the wake tow"

BTW...with the powerful tow planes we have at our field, which can climb quite steeply...above the wake, is actually quite a bit below the tow plane....

Conversely, on a cross country tow, when the tow plane is flying level, and the wash goes straight back...."low tow" (just below the wake) is not really all that low...(almost the same sight picture as above the wake in a steep climb!

Cookie

On Monday, February 25, 2019 at 7:49:03 AM UTC-5, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Since this topic comes up every few years, very diplomatic reply you posted Cookie.

Yes, in the US, high tow is the norm except for training demonstration/practice.

Our club is an exception, we have been doing low tow as the norm since I started flying some 45 years ago. We do teach high tow, I use high tow at other fields...."When in Rome...."
Others flying at our place are given the option of which to fly, we tell the towpilot if a high tow is to be expected.