Old February 25th 19, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default high tow vs low tow

On Sunday, February 24, 2019 at 10:27:25 PM UTC-5, Steve Koerner wrote:
As a US pilot, I've flown low tow a few times but mostly just high tow as that is the convention here. I'm wondering what all of the trade-offs are by the two methods? Might it be time to reconsider this?

As pointed out on another thread, low tow would seem to be safer against the problem of glider kiting up to overpower the tugs up elevator. I'm wondering if it's ever possible for a low tow glider to go too low and overpower the tugs down elevator?

Also, how does low tow compare in the other common dangerous towing situation wherein the tug flys too slow for a highly ballasted glider? My own experience with a seriously too slow tug is that I end up falling to low tow whether I like it or not.

Has anyone done a lot of tows both ways and have reasons as to which way is better?

I've done something over 20,000 flights at both ends, 12k or so at the back and something over 8k at the front.
Properly flown, as high as possible without being in the wake, the glider is very closely aligned with the thrust line of the tug and has almost no effect on trim.
Flown too low, the glider pilot can have a poorer view of the horizon.
Being a bit high is obvious.
The rope wrapping hazard happens if there is slack caused by a fairly quick, big descent. I have never witnessed this happening in operations I have been involved with.
We tested the "pull the tail down" risk and could not accomplish it. The angles don't work. In trying this we had our Cub down to below 45 MPH with the glider behind hanging low. It was more stable with the glider on at that speed.
My experience is that low is easier to teach and do at the beginning because the view is a bit better and the wake is not anywhere near as much of an issue.
Get slack- Move to the side to take it out, just like high(normal?) tow.
Rope will hit the glider. Could happen if way too low when tug releases it. If the glider is in proper position when releasing the rope doesn't go much up or down. If the tug releases the rope drops below and behind and probably, but not surely back releases.
Rope will wrap around the glider- I have yet to figure out how a rope can go upwind against a 60 mph headwind.
The rope will scratch my belly when using a CG hook. No scratches on my ships in 40+ years of low tow.
Most training, from my experience, teaches pilots to fly too low.
If one wants to get better at this, a couple dual flights with an experienced instructor can be useful.
Also note that many tugs have mirrors set up such that the tow pilot can't see the glider in low tow.
Tell your tow pilot what you plan to do. Trim settings are different so he or she may want to adjust.
To finish. Both options can be done safely. I believe low tow is more easily done safely.
Flame suit on.
UH