Old September 5th 12, 02:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_3_]

Default Collision Avoidance

On Sep 5, 7:12*am, K wrote:
I am going to be setting up a new (TO me) glider panel during our fast approaching off season. Standard category if it matters and two of the things on the list are PowerFlarm and a Transponder. From talking to some people (Suppliers and other pilots) there are a few who are doing either or, and one who is forgoing the installation of a TX for a PF. Am I missing something? I have always thought you needed both the TX and PF. Have been flying with PF and so far it is doing a good job of detecting TX equipped gliders and power planes.

My 2c: It depends where you are and cost/benefit.

I fly in the Chicago area, near a lot of commercial traffic, and lots
of power traffic that is talking to ATC. The transponder means they
see us. The transponder triggers the jet and bizjet tcas. The
transponder means ATC routes jets around us. (I've watched southwest
737 turn away from us.) The transponder means that parachute jump
operations, talking to center, see you and won't jump on top of you.
Flying above Aurora class D the other day, the transponder triggered a
friendly call, did I know I was 2 miles from Ohare class B and headed
right for it. (Answer, yes thanks. Answer omitted, yes, and there is a
fat cumulus cloud 1/2 mile ahead after which I'm going to turn left.)
Of course, the transponder means you'd better fly right because the
FAA is watching, but we all do that anyway.

Flarm is great. (Well, I hope so if I ever get the thing installed.
Thanks for making it so easy, Flarm. ) But you are invisible to them
with flarm.

I regard flarm as primarily to avoid glider-glider collisions, and
helps me see them. The transponder helps them see you. Definitely
worth it.

John Cochrane.