Old August 14th 07, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Paul kgyy

Default Mounting 396

I have received the Garmin GPSMAP 396 that I ordered at OSH and am now
trying to figure out how to mount it securely in the airplane (Piper
Arrow)
1 I want to be able to use it out of the airplane occasionally.
2 Experimenting with it at home, it appears to me that the font size
on both screen and controls requires that it be within 2 feet of my
eyes. This seems to eliminate the Airgizmos mount in the radio stack
2 position, also the passenger yoke position.
3 This seems to leave either top of the glareshield, pilot yoke, or
suction cup on left windshield.
a. Glareshield location too high - impairs visibility
b. Yoke
(1) concerned about loose wires impairing yoke movement
(2) have to find another place for my approach plates
and time (currently both on yoke mount)
c. Suction Cup mount
This seems the best option in many ways, except that the
suction cups fall off occasionally, which is a safety hazard.

Other opinions/ideas?