Old November 18th 05, 03:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Yesterday's IFR flight with questions

Was there an airmet for icing? I use this as a guide. If there is an
airmet for icing, and I will be in IMC, I don't go. The airmets are a
good guide. That and PIREPS.

AS for question 1. Ice can form anytime there is visible moisture and
temperatures are at or below freezing. So your question can't be
answered. It all depends. You know how the weather is, it is always
DIFFERENT!

Question 2 seems to be about seeing ice. Well, look. If you can see it,
you've got it! If you can't see it and you are in the clouds and its
below freezing you MIGHT have it. Clear ice can be smooth or rough. If
it looks clear it is clear. If it looks white, it is rime. Rime can be
smooth or rough too. And if some is clear and some is rime, then its
mixed.

Question 3. Cant really answer in a general way. If there is ice in
those clouds it will probably accumulate on your airplane. And without
deice, there isn't much you can do except fly out of it. Sure you can
fly with a little bit of ice. But what if you have to go missed and go
back into it?

There really isn't any safe way to fly a small GA airplane around in
icing conditions without having deice system.

Good thing you didn't have a thick layer on decent and approach. You
would have really scared yourself then.

Sorry to be so negative. We've all gotten ice from time to time. Maybe
you should follow me. You won't get any ice, cause it will ALL BE ON MY
AIRPLANE!!! Except I don't do that anymore. I'd be back at 2G2 having a
soda. No ice.