Old November 18th 05, 12:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default Yesterday's IFR flight with questions

Doug wrote:
: Was there an airmet for icing? I use this as a guide. If there is an
: airmet for icing, and I will be in IMC, I don't go. The airmets are a
: good guide. That and PIREPS.

I would like to add that MEAs have something to do it it in my opinion. I
don't have a problem climbing into potentially icing conditions, so long as I know I
can get below icing and stay above MEA. Of course that precludes the nastiest of
icing (clear, freezing rain), but in a GA spamcan you've gotta have a deathwish to
even consider a flight in conditions like that.

With a freezing level a few thousand feed above MEA, it's still a possibility.
With a known-thin layer and clear above into improving weather, it still a
possibility. For the most part, though, I'll agree. Good chance of solid IMC + below
freezing temps at MEA or below = no-go.

: AS for question 1. Ice can form anytime there is visible moisture and
: temperatures are at or below freezing. So your question can't be
: answered. It all depends. You know how the weather is, it is always
: DIFFERENT!

I got icing in VMC at 2000' AGL last Christmas. I thought the tower was
kidding when he told me to "let me know if I picked up any ice" while overflying his
airport.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *