Old June 16th 14, 02:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Fatal crash Arizona

On Sunday, June 15, 2014 3:11:29 PM UTC-7, Bill D wrote:
On Sunday, June 15, 2014 12:09:22 AM UTC-6, 2G wrote:

PLEASE stop with the sanctimonious crap! I have done hundreds of aerotows. You need to lower the nose because you are in a climb attitude and need to transition to a glide attitude. On your next tow note where the horizon is on the canopy and compare it to where it is after release at the same airspeed.

Raise, lower or leave the nose where it is - this is an energy management maneuver. The pilot is trying to make the most of the energy he has available when the rope breaks not follow some rote procedure.

If the glider remains at the climb attitude the airspeed will be trending down which is just fine for the moment since the tow airspeed is very likely to have been well above best L/D or even pattern speed. Until safe return to the runway is assured, stabilizing the airspeed at best L/D is the target. Once return is assured, the pilot may elect to accelerate to pattern speed.

The basic airmanship skill is monitoring airspeed trends while simultaneously maneuvering the glider for landing. Once stabilized at best L/D, if the airspeed is climbing, the nose is too low. If the airspeed is falling, it's too high.

Come on, get REAL! If this were the case there would be no such accidents!

Actual pilots, when confronted with actual emergencies, do not always respond the way they are taught. Why do pilots stall AT ALL if they did what you suggested? Your arm chair analytical review is NOT WORKING!

I am strongly suggesting that there are irrational emotional factors that influence pilots to do things completely contrary to their training. I know this for a fact; disregarding this reality is to put your head into the sand.

At least you have stopped denigrating my motorglider experience.

Tom