Old April 24th 06, 02:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default IAP without inbound course?

The track on the arc is +- 1 NM, it can be done closer.
I've flown them in actual, no radar approach control used
the arc as a means to get required sep.

If you lead the initial turn about 1 mile, you should roll
out pretty close.

Like a lot of IFR training, procedures that are taught may
never be used in real life, such as time/distance to station
by bearing change.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

some support

"Sam Spade" wrote in message
| Jose wrote:
| There is only one such IAP in the country (probably the
world). If,
| however, you mean most pilots don't know how to fly DME
ARC initial
| approach segments, then their training is seriously
lacking.

| Then count me in. I was never taught the procedure; I
asked here some
| time ago and practiced it on my own. However, my
training is not
| "seriously lacking". The DME arcs were not around much
(DME was not in
| the aircraft either) when I took my training. I've kept
up, but one
| cannot keep up with what one does not know to keep up
with, and some of
| those things are obscure "gotchas".
|
| Jose
| The procedure for flying DME ARCs was in the old
instrument flying
| handbook, both with and without an RMI.
|
| I was never taught the procedure, either, when I obtained
my instrument
| rating. But, as a professional CFI-I, I became proficient
in their use
| and how to teach them as soon as it became apparent (circa
late 1960s)
| that they better be part of the proficient instrument
pilot's toolkit.