Old September 13th 04, 02:33 PM

Default KT-76 low power?

Hey all... finally got around to taking a trip in my plane this
weekend (busy with school stuff). The transponder appears to be weak and
the controllers were none-too-pleased without seeing a squawk, IFR,
running next to a TFR... They had a tough time receiving my squawk,
especially when far out. I saw the blinky-blinky interrogate light
lighting up just as normal, though. I just (June) took it in for IFR cert
and they said it was all fine.

I thought it might be disconnected antenna or dirt on it, but the
BNC connector looks new and antenna was slick and clean. I'm assuming
this thing is old enough to have a tube output that might be losing power?
I think I will first try replacing the antenna and entire coax run... it's
cheap and easy to do.... just looking for other thoughts.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *