Old December 28th 04, 06:06 PM
David Nicholls

"miket6065" wrote in message
m...
The Brits have this hood they have issued and if memory serves it is
workable to around 500 feet.

I found this site:
http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/rnmedic...t/inm/subs.htm

MikeT

The test I know of was from a diesel sub in the Med in the late 1950s (or
early 1960s) from 606 feet (IIRC). It was a hooded escape from a standard
submarine escape chamber. When I was in the RN submarine service (1970/80s)
we were trained that a standard escape from an escape tower was possible to
750 feet, a compartment escape (i.e. flood the entire compartment and exit)
was to 250 feet (any deeper and the last out suffer compression sickness)
and that the Deep Submergence Rescue Vehicle (DSRV) could save us from down
to 2500 feet (below our crush depth!).

David Nicholls