Old February 11th 08, 06:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.military, rec.aviation.military.naval,sci.military.naval
[email protected][_2_]

Default First Fighter Plane?

On Feb 11, 12:06*pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
(Richard Casady) wrote :

On Fri, 08 Feb 2008 19:50:44 -0500, "Dean A. Markley"
wrote:

dott.Piergiorgio wrote:
Ed Rasimus ha scritto:

And, don't even get started on the one engine versus two engine
aircraft business. Single engine fighters have been doing quite nicely
for decades....ooops, make that more than a century.

More a century, yes, for *aircrafts* ; for *fighters* I guess we're
still 5-7 years prior of a century of Fighters.... (depend on one's
interpretation of what bird was the first Fighter...)

Best regards from Italy,
Dott. Piergiorgio.

So what was the first "true" fighter plane? *I am not even going to
attempt to set limits on this. *Let's just let 'er rip.

I think about the first really decent fighters were the ones that
could fire two guns through the prop. Two seat aircraft with a guy in
back with a single gun just didn't make the cut.

I bet you wouldn't say that if you were in an unarmed airplane nearby.

Bertie

Among the blind, the one-eyed rules?