Old July 2nd 18, 07:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soarin Again[_2_]

Default Accelerated spin in unexpected direction at low altitude

Thank you for this. The only time I have been in an over the top spin

was
in one particular 2-32 only from a slip to the left. Allow this

particular
2-32 to get slow in a left slip and over the top you went. Would not do

it
from a slip to the right and I had always been thought that an aircraft
will not stall from a slip. Unfortunately this glider is not with use

any
more and I have not been able to get any other 2-32 to do an over the top
spin entry from a slip.

In the mid 90's while high in Minden wave and test flying a Puchacz
for
a potential club purchase. An investigation of the gliders slip and
slipping
turn characteristics. During a deep left slipping turn the glider
abruptly
broke over the raised right wing into an aggressive right spin. Onlookers
said it appeared very much like a left slipping turn into a right snap
roll
spin entry. Considering that I was at about 1g at the time so there was no
g-loading associated with this event. My assumption was that the raised
wing was blanked and stalled by the associated fuselage/wing turbulence.
I did not attempt to repeat the incident in that or any other Puchacz, so
have no idea if that characteristic was typical for make and model or
limited
to that particular glider. It's still remains the most aggressive spin
entry I
have ever experienced in a glider or airplane.
I should add that the club did go ahead and ordered a new Puchacz.
Unfortunately a number of years later during a check flight with the clubs
primary instructor/club president and a new club member/airline pilot,
were
both killed when their Puchacz spun to impact.