Old December 2nd 04, 05:07 AM
Jay Honeck

You've got a Tanis and the best it could do at zero degrees was a 35
degree oil temp? That's pathetic. Hard to tell by your pictures but it
looks like you've got a Kennon fitted nose mitten there. I have a Kennon
as well and at zero degrees my two 50 watt oil pan heaters from Tractor
Supply keep the oil at 100F and each CHT/EGT at 80F. Wind is not a factor
with the cover, although I always try to park facing into the wind to help
the controls. When I go to start the plane it thinks it's the middle of
July. Never understood why people **** away hundreds of dollars on a
Tanis and then you find out their oil temp is 35F on a zero day.

Actually, the nose cover is something Mary made from a cheap sleeping bag,
and a bunch of velcro. Cost about $15 bucks, and works great.

We were unable to park the plane into the wind, due to the snow, ice, and
the position of the one outlet that actually worked. As a result, the
sub-zero wind (and it was howling) was able to get under and inside the
cover all night long.

The fact that the oil was at least 45 degrees above ambient despite all this
was fairly remarkable, I thought. Under less severe wind conditions, it
easily keeps the engine in the 80s.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA