Old December 4th 07, 06:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Towing with a VW

On Dec 2, 12:12 pm, Dan wrote:
On Dec 2, 12:11 pm, Dan wrote:

I tow a 1,300 lb (590 lbs Austria, 610 lbs tube) trailer with a 2006
Jetta TDI. Due to the chord of the wing - 48" - the trailer has a
53"diameter, so a lot of frontal load. Tow capacity is 2,000 lbs,
they recommend trailer brakes for over 1,000 lbs (my trailer has
hydraulic surge brakes). I have no problems towing or stopping
(braking is as important as the torque for getting going. I have a 5
speed manual transmission; I've read on the TDI club (http://www.tdiclub.com/) that the automatic transmission might be a problem,
for the Jetta anyway. There is a TDI Beetle forum on the site
previously mentioned, where I'm betting there is a lot of info on
hitches, towing generally... there sure was for the Jetta TDI on
there. I bought a hitch and electrics for towing based on the
recommendations there.

Dan

And the other 100 lbs is wing stands, cleaning stuff, etc...

Hmmm a thread about the optimal tow vehicle and only 8 replies over a
few days? this should be up to at least 50 or 100 by now