Old August 2nd 18, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

Default Cobra trailer lug bolts

On Wednesday, August 1, 2018 at 10:10:15 AM UTC-5, Hartley Falbaum wrote:
I am looking for information about the size of lug bolts used on Cobra trailers. Spindlebarger is currently closed until 10 August.

The Cobra manual indicates some lug bolts are 14 mm, instead of the usual 12mm. It also indicates a 15" wheel is sometimes used instead of the usual 14" (or 13" on older trailers).

I'd like to know how to identify which trailers use 14mm bolts, and which use 12mm. I don't have trailers available except my own, or I would just pull a bolt and measure. Mine is a 14" wheel, 5 bolts, 12mm.

If anyone out there in r.a.s. actually knows, please help.

Thanks in advance

Hartley Falbaum
Georgia, USA

Hartley,

My first thought is to just measure the diameter of the threads on the lug bolts with a caliper -- which may be VERY obvious to everyone.

However, I believe your question is really how someone ELSE would identify their trailer's lug bolt size by, for example, telling you the serial number of their trailer. Correct?

I suspect, but don't know, the important thing is the model number of the axle/brake assembly which may be more indicative of sizes of things. AL-KO seems to be the most common provider of the axle/brake assembly for Cobra trailers (not to mention the tongue and coupler assembly). For example, the AL-KO model number is what I had to use to order replacement (AL-KO) brake pads.

This number is stamped on the back side of the brake backing plate which means crawling on the ground. A picture of the AL-KO model number of my Cobra trailer is shown here http://aviation.derosaweb.net/asw27/documents/Trailer.

I don't know of some reference manual that equates the model number to the size of lug bolts. https://www.tauntontrailers.co.uk is a good resource for AL-KO parts. You might drop them a line. BTW: "lug bolts" are called "wheel bolts" in the UK (following their logical terms like "lift" and "torch" for the US equivalent "elevator" and "flashlight"). Always good to know the lingo!

Best of luck, John OHM Ω