Old May 21st 04, 01:08 AM
Jim Kellett

"Bob Johnson" wrote in message
There's a good discussion of this subject in the current issue of
"Flying" magazine written by the editor-in-chief, Richard L. Collins.. . .

I'm 68, been flying ca. 40 years, and have a strong vested interest in this
dialog. A couple of years ago, I attempted to start an informal local
"elder statesmen" group which would meet, socialize, and - as the mood
permitted - talk about how we've variously managing the evening of our
flying lives. No one under 60 allowed gr and what gets said there stays
there. My premise was that open dialog among peers would encourage better
self-management of how to fly as long as possible . . . but safely.

After a year of thoroughly underwhelming responses to the idea, I moved on.
I still think it's a good idea. I know I watch my own performance far more
critically than most others do, which is easy because no one knows better
than me how I USED to perform! gr

Jim Kellett
Resident Curmudgeon